The Primary Eyecare Service provides NHS funded eyecare services for our patients. The services are available from the majority of local opticians.
To book an appointment please visit: primaryeyecare.co.uk
Urgent Eyecare Service (CUES)
CUES (COVID-19 Urgent Eyecare Service) ensures that patients can
access urgent eyecare within primary care optical practices.
The CUES service will continue to support patients and reduce pressure
on our primary and secondary care colleagues throughout the next
phase of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The CUES (COVID-19 Urgent Eyecare Service) launched across BaNES Swindon and Wiltshire on the 18th May 2020.
- In the first 6 weeks, 369 patients presenting with urgent eye symptoms have received care under the CUES service, either remotely or face-to-face, across a network of 29 community optical practices.
- 85% of patients were assessed, advised, and/or treated and discharged without the need for onwards referral to the hospital or GP.
Who is eligible for CUES?
- CUES is available to patients presenting with symptoms that may suggest an urgent eye problem.
- Presenting symptoms will typically include a red or painful eye, foreign body, sudden change in vision, or flashes and floaters which may suggest retinal detachment.
- CUES is available to patients of any age with a GP in BaNES, Swindon or Wiltshire.
How can a patient access CUES?
- Patients can contact any provider practice on the phone to receive an eligibility screening for CUES.
- A current list of providers can be found at: primaryeyecare.co.uk/find-a-practice/
- Patients can be signposted to a local provider practice through another care provider such as a GP surgery, pharmacy, NHS 111 or hospital eye department.